"Thus says the LORD: "If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth below can be explored, then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel for all they have done, declares the LORD."
- Jeremiah 31:37 (ESV)

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Beginning – A Very Good Place to Start

I have recently been spending time reading through Genesis. I think a strong knowledge of the Tanakh (the Old Testament) is essential if we are to correctly interpret the books that make up the “New Testament”. All of the Gospels, Epistles, history and Eschatological books in the New Testament were written by Jewish authors, and many of them to or from a Jewish context. Understanding this fact, and embracing it, is crucial for how we read those books.

So, while I continue to read and digest the writings of Paul (I’m currently reading and studying Paul’s letter to the Romans), I have simultaneously started reading through the Torah (or the first five books in the Bible -- the books of Moses). This, naturally, brings me to Genesis, or Bereshith.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

– Genesis 1:1-2 (ESV)

Here in the opening lines of Scripture is our first encounter with earth, and with it’s Creator. Beyond that, I would like to point out the word “Spirit” used in the above passage of Scripture. It is the Hebrew word ruach. This word generally has three meanings, either wind, breath, or spirit. While this is such a rich section of Scripture, I merely wanted to point out two things from the opening passages (although I’m certain I will have much more to say about this chapter).

The second thing I would like to point out is God’s act of separating the water.

And God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” And God made the expanse and separated the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so. And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

- Genesis 1:6-8 (ESV)

And again in the next passage, we see the act of God separating the waters, both an act of creating and revealing.

And God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so. God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

- Genesis 1:9-10 (ESV)

While we by no means should be taking these verses out of their context, I am only posting these ones for the sake of space and time. I would strongly encourage you to read the entire chapter on your own.

The entire concept of water is incredibly important in both Judaism (mikveh), and Christianity (baptism). While pointing out similarities and differences between these two practices are way off topic (I’m sure I will get there someday), I am merely using them as an example.

The purpose of this post is to point out two of the major factors which are evident in Scripture when God is in the process of creating something. His Spirit, or ruach, is present, along with this theme of “separating the waters”. This is something that we will see over and over again at the major hinge points in Scripture, and I thought it was an important way to start this journey.

(Also, I will post Hebrew words in italics, at least the first time they are used)

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! We love it. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm. We're looking forward to learning the scriptures in a deeper way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff. im looking forward to keeping up with what you write. your site is even bookmarked on my browser so its just a click away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks. I appreciate the support. Hopefully I will be able to post consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are such a bible israel student. but yey. 'tis cool how you're doing this.

    i love the whole mikveh/baptism/cleansing connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be interested in keeping up with your posts, Zak! *goes to subscribe*

    ~Laura Ingalls

    ReplyDelete

Jerusalem

Jerusalem
A City Divided