"Thus says the LORD: "If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth below can be explored, then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel for all they have done, declares the LORD."
- Jeremiah 31:37 (ESV)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Sky is Pretty Big

Have you ever just looked up into the night sky and been lost in the glory of God? David did. He wrote about it, too.

Psalm 19:1 (ESV)
"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork."
This seems to be the first passage that pops into our head, and the first response we have to this beautiful act of creation. Without taking away from this (I hope I'm adding to it's depth), I would like to bring one other piece of Scripture to mind. During my time in the Word two days ago, this verse jumped out at me.

Jeremiah 31:37 (ESV)
"Thus says the LORD: 'If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth below can be explored, then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel for all that they have done', declares the LORD."
This is one of the most amazing statements about God's mercy. Essentially, God is saying that he will NEVER cast away his people for what they have done. His love is as broad and endless as the night sky. That doesn't negate the consequence for not glorifying him, however, because this was written not long before the Babylonian captivity. This does, though, give us a tiny glimpse of how much God really loves us.

As I was pondering this thought, I asked myself a question: did God HAVE to make the sky that big and endless? Probably not. He could have sustained life on this planet without making all those other ones. Yet, I think the fact that he DID make the universe that big, tells us something about who he is. It tells us that he wants to be glorified, and it tells us how much he loves us. Yeah, God loves his people THAT much. It's beyond our ability to comprehend, and it should be.

2 comments:

  1. with that jeremiah verse, it's cool how God uses our inabilities in order to show us His greater ability. yey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. That's a really good point. That is like the passage from 1 Corinthians where Paul talks about God "choosing the foolish things of this world to shame the wise". Really cool thought.

    ReplyDelete

Jerusalem

Jerusalem
A City Divided